It is a short-acting benzodiazepine, which is a prescription medication for short term management of anxiety disorder and specifically panic disorder or generalized anxiety disorder. It is a generic medication. You may buy Alprazolam online also for use in persons with nausea. This medication sells in the U.S. under the trade name Xanax, among others. Some users are using Alprazolam for sleep problems. Alprazolam is not more useful for the treatment of insomnia as it is not a sedative medication.
This medication was patented in 1971 and approved for medical use in the United States in 1981. This medication is a Schedule IV controlled substance and a common drug for abuse.
Alprazolam was the 19th most prescribed drug in the United States in 2016, with more than 27 million prescriptions.
Alprazolam dosage and forms:
There are several brands of Alprazolam which are available in different dosage of Alprazolam.
- ALPRAZolam Intensol
- Xanax XR
- ALPRAZolam XR
Strength of Tablet form
- Generic- 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg and 2 mg
- Xanax- 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg, 2 mg
Tablet Disintegrating, Oral:
- Generic- 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg and 2 mg
Alprazolam extended-release form
- Alprazolam XR- 0.5 mg, 1 mg, 2 mg and 3 mg
- Xanax XR- 0.5 mg, 1 mg, 2 mg, 3 mg
Usual adult dosage for Anxiety disorder
- Initial dosage: 0.25 mg to 0.5 mg orally 3 times in a day as prescribed by your doctor
- Dosage adjustment: You may increase your daily dosage by the 1 mg at an interval of 3 to 4 days
- Maximum dosage: 4 mg per day
Usual adult dosage for Panic disorder
- Initial dosage: 0.5 mg orally 3 times in a day as prescribed by your doctor
- Dosage adjustment: You may increase your daily dosage as per your doctor’s instructions
- Maximum dosage: 10 mg per day
- Initial dose: 0.5 to 1 mg orally once a day as per your medical conditions
- Dosage adjustment: 3 to 6 mg orally per day, preferably in the morning as recommended by your health advisor
- Maximum dose: 10 mg/day
Some other dosage of Alprazolam
- Alprazolam for dogs: 0.25 mg to 2 mg depends on the health of dog.
You are advised to take lowest effective dosage as per your medical conditions and your doctor’s recommendation. You should not take this medication by more frequent dosage or overdosage, it may cause severe adverse symptoms.
Alprazolam Side effects
This medication may cause some severe and frequent effects which are possible due to misuse or overuse of the drug.
Using Alprazolam may cause some severe effects, can harm your body. Contact to your doctor if you have any adverse changes (given below) while using Alprazolam.
- Being forgetful
- changes in patterns and rhythms of speech
- clumsiness or unsteadiness
- difficulty with coordination
- feeling sad or empty
- lack of appetite
- loss of interest or pleasure
- relaxed and calm
- shakiness and unsteady walk
- sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
- slurred speech
- trouble concentrating
- trouble performing routine tasks
- trouble sleeping
- trouble speaking
- trembling, unsteadiness and other problems with muscle coordination
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- blurred vision
- body pain
- burning, crawling, itching, prickling, “pins and needles, or tingling feelings
- changes in behavior
- clay-colored stools
- confusion about identity, place, and time
- dark urine
- a decrease in the frequency of urination
- the decrease in urine volume
- difficult or labored breathing
- difficulty in passing urine (dribbling)
- difficulty with concentration
- inability to move the eyes
- inability to sit still
- increased blinking or spasms of the eyelid
- irregular heartbeats
- itching or rash
- joint pain
- lack or loss of self-control
- loss of bladder control
- loss of coordination
- loss of memory
- loss of voice
- mood or mental changes
- muscle aching or cramping
- muscle pain or stiffness
- muscle weakness
- need to keep moving
- painful urination
- problems with memory
- hearing things that are not there
- sense of detachment from self or body
- the attack, assault, or force
- chest pain
- continuing ringing other unexplained noise in the ears
- decreased awareness or responsiveness
- deep or fast breathing with dizziness
- ear pain
- false or unusual sense of well-being
- fast, irregular, or racing heartbeat or pulse
- feeling unusually cold
- feeling jitter
- generalized slowing of mental and physical activity
- loss of hearing
- lack of feeling or emotion
- loss of control of the legs
- loss of strength or energy
- numbness of the feet, hands, and around the mouth
- severe sleepiness
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- sleep talking
- talking, feeling, and acting with excitement
- thoughts of killing oneself
- unusual weak feeling
Some unknown incidence
- light-colored stools
- stomach pain
- general weakness or tiredness
- upper right abdominal pain
Alprazolam withdrawal symptoms
- mental impairment
- abdominal cramps
This given list does not contain all the side effects of Alprazolam some others are also possible. Take immediate medical help and follow the instructions of the doctor if you have any problem while using Alprazolam.
Alprazolam warnings and precautions
It is good to take some necessary precautions while using Alprazolam. Using precautions will protect you from severe adverse effects and addiction to the drug.
- You should take the medication with the lowest effective dosage. And do not take dosage more frequently; it may be habit-forming.
- Never take 2 or more than 2 dosages at one time; it can harm you.
- Do not take Alprazolam; if you have already taken another drug, it can react to you.
- Do not take this medication with alcohol; it can increase or decrease the effect of drugs and may cause some side effects.
- Do not choose this medication during the pregnancy period. Taking Alprazolam during the pregnancy period may harm your unborn baby.
- You are advised to avoid taking this drug if you are a nursing mother. This medication can react to your breast milk and harm your baby.