It is an opioid pain medication that is used to treat moderate to severe pain. Sometimes an opioid is also known as a narcotic. Roxicodone contains Oxycodone that has a high potential for abuse, like hydrocodone hydromorphone, methadone, morphine, etc. Roxicodone works in the human brain by changing how your body feels and reacts to pain.
How does Roxicodone work?
There are some endogenous opioids inside the human body, which can be bind to special receptors to activate several effects in the body. Roxicodone activates the same receptors as endogenous and manipulates the whole natural process.
It can also decrease the transmission of pain impulses in the body by interrupting the pain messages in the spinal cord and interfere with the signals coming from the brain in the CNS.
Dosage strength and external appearance
You may buy Roxicodone online in the below-given strengths.
- 5 mg tablets: scored and embossed with “54 582” on one side
- 15 mg tablets: scored and embossed with “54 710” on one side
- 30 mg tablets: scored and embossed with “54 199” on one side (blue color)
This medication is also available in a solution form.
Important dosage and instructions
You should take the lowest effective dosage for the shortest duration consistent with individual patient treatment goals.
Professionals should administer your daily dosage as per your physical, mental and medical conditions. You should not take this medication more frequently and do not stop taking drug suddenly, it may cause Roxicodone withdrawal symptoms like,
- Cold flashes
- Bone pain
- Involuntary leg movements, etc.
Dosage for pain
- Initial dosage: you should start your treatment with Roxicodone 5mg to 30mg every 4 to 6 hours.
- Dosage increase: you may increase your daily dosage at a limited period at the instructions of your doctor.
Roxicodone vs. Oxycodone
There are no significant differences between Roxicodone and Oxycodone. Roxicodone is a brand name of Oxycodone, and Oxycodone is a generic drug name. It differs from other brands of generic Oxycodone as the Roxicodone 30mg is available in blue color.
Roxicodone vs. OxyContin
There is not any significant difference between Roxicodone and OxyContin. Roxicodone and OxyContin, both are the different brand name of Oxycodone.
Side effects and interactions
There are some adverse effects of using opioid pain medications. Roxicodone may cause some frequent and severe side effects while misusing it and without precautions.
Here is a list of more dangerous side effects of Roxicodone, which requires immediate medical treatment.
- cold sweats
- difficult or labored breathing
- faintness, or lightheadedness when suddenly change sitting position
- tightness in the chest
- swelling of the face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet
- blood in the urine
- burning while urinating burning, crawling, itching, prickling, “pins and needles,” or tingling feelings
- chest pain
- decrease in the frequency of urination
- decreased urine output
- difficult or painful urination
- difficulty in passing urine (dribbling)
- difficulty with swallowing
- dry mouth
- the feeling of warmth or heat
- more frequent urination
- increase in heart rate
- increased thirst
- the increased volume of pale, dilute urine
- muscle pain or cramps
- hives, itching and skin rash
- stomach pain
- sunken eyes
- swollen and painful, or tender lymph glands in the neck, armpit, or groin
- trembling and shaking of the hands or feet
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- unexpected weight gain or loss
- wrinkled skin
- Blurred vision
- clay-colored stools
- cold, clammy skin
- dark urine
- fast, weak pulse
- loss of appetite
- pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
- very slow heartbeat
- unpleasant breath odor
- yellow eyes or skin
It is not a full list of side effects; some others may also be possible. You are advised to take immediate medical help if you have any abnormal results while using Roxicodone.
Roxicodone is a highly potent drug which may interact with some other medicines like,
- Tylenol, etc.